My low sugar diet also means low carb, as the starch and glucose in potatoes raises your blood sugar, so I've been looking for some good alternatives. I like cauliflower and wondered if I could make a fish pie and put mashed cauli on top, and found a few recipes online doing just that.
I followed this recipe for the cauliflower puree but I couldn't get mine smooth enough; I think if I had cooked the cauli for longer so it was softer that might have been better. I wouldn't have thought to add cheese and cream into it as well; it was quite nice, though to be honest I would have preferred mashed potato!
For the fish pie, I cooked a mixture of fish - I think I had white fish, salmon and smoked mackerel, and added some chopped leaks and made a white sauce.
I put it in a pie dish, spread the cauliflower mash over the top and popped it in the oven to brown.
Here you can see the fish and the topping. This felt like a very virtuous recipe and is good if you're cutting down on potatoes and miss having fish pie - but I have to say I would only eat it as "diet food", whereas a lot of the low cal/fat/sugar recipes I make are nice enough to eat whether you are on a diet or not.
clicksor_enable_inter = true; clicksor_maxad = -1;
clicksor_hourcap = -1; clicksor_showcap = 2;
clicksor_enable_adhere = false;
//default pop-under house ad url
clicksor_enable_pop = true; clicksor_frequencyCap = -1;
durl = '';clicksor_mobile_redirect = false;
//default banner house ad url
clicksor_default_url = '';
clicksor_banner_border = '#fec700'; clicksor_banner_ad_bg = '#FFFFFF';
clicksor_banner_link_color = '#000000'; clicksor_banner_text_color = '#666666';
clicksor_banner_image_banner = false; clicksor_banner_text_banner = false;
clicksor_layer_border_color = '#fec700';
clicksor_layer_ad_bg = '#FFFFFF'; clicksor_layer_ad_link_color = '#000000';
clicksor_layer_ad_text_color = '#666666'; clicksor_text_link_bg = '';
clicksor_text_link_color = ''; clicksor_enable_text_link = false;
This was both the most memorable meal of my life, and the most forgettable, because I can barely recall what I ate (though luckily for this ...
Part 2 of my travel review of the Galapagos islands, where we were based out of the Finch Bay Eco hotel in Santa Cruz. Puerto Ayora, Santa...
These cupcakes taste just like the real thing - like you are eating tiramisu! I made them for a family party with my in-laws; my mother-...
Did you know that the average family in the UK throws away £60 worth of food and drink every month? That sounds like a huge amount, but...
The Hobbycraft press show - another Christmas in July event - was much smaller than some of the others I've been to, but much more fun ...
Sometimes you want a proper dessert but really quickly - something that you can literally put together in five minutes after dinner. Mug cak...
I got the Sizzix Big Shot Plus machine for Christmas – which I imagine a good proportion of you have never heard of. It’s a die cutting ...
It was a year ago this month that my boyfriend and I bought and moved into our lovely house. We spent a couple of months working all-out...
After spending a fantastic few days of our honeymoon in Miami, we flew on to Quito, the capital of Ecuador. Our final destination would be 8...
I love fruit-flavoured ice cream, but not flavours like strawberry - I like more unusual, zingy flavours like apple. When I lived in Germa...
- Slow Cooker Thai Green Beef Curry
- Meal Planning Monday Week 24
- Eton Mess cupcakes
- Restaurant Review: Redfearns, Wincanton, Somerset
- Birthday Presents and Stamped Sentiments Card
- Deconstructed No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
- Review: Holbrook House Hotel, Wincanton, Somerset
- Meal Planning Monday Week 23
- Alpaca Cookies and Alpaca Adventure, Dorset
- Low Carb Fish Pie with Cauliflower Mash
- M&M chocolate birthday cake
- Quick Make: 60th Birthday Card
- Restaurant review: Debenhams Oxford Street
- Meal Planning Monday Week 21
- Spiralized Vegetables with Broccoli Pesto
- Chicken en Papilotte with Orange Veg
- Quinoa Cheese Tartlets
- Lorraine Pascale's Blueberry and Limoncello Drizzl...
- Restaurant Review: The Swan at Stoford, Wiltshire
- Birthday Girl Party Card
- Meal Planning Monday Week 20
- Restaurant Review: Cashmore Inn, Cashmore, Dorset
- Amazing Jaffa Cake Cupcakes
- Butternut Squash Quinoa Risotto
- Slimming World Creamy Coriander and Minted Chicken...
- Review: Premier Inn, Edinburgh Park
- Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes
- Meal Planning Monday 2016 Week 19
- ▼ May (28)
- ► 2015 (266)
- ► 2014 (120)
Powered by Blogger.