Mostly when my husband and I go to the cinema we have dinner beforehand - we've found that if we drive to Epsom town centre after dinner to watch a film around 8pm, it's very hard to find anywhere to park! It also makes it more of an evening out if we have a meal as well, though as we don't tend to have a lot of time, we choose places that are near to the cinema.
This time we were walking down the street and I spotted a place I hadn't noticed before, though apparently they have been there a while! The Caballo Lounge is part of a chain but has quite an independent, quirky feel (obviously a result of meticulous research and planning across the chain!).
You'd be forgiven for thinking you had stepped into someone's living room (if their living room had a bar) - there are walls lined with books, sofas as well as tables and chairs, lampshades, board games - it looks like somewhere you could while away an afternoon with friends or children or go out for a drink in the evening.
Caballo Lounge offers everything from breakfasts to burgers, by way of paninis and pastries. They even have separate gluten-free and vegan menus which is something you don't see very often. As we went in the evening we wanted dinner; I love macaroni cheese so I ordered the mac and cheese (£8.95) which came with roasted butternut squash and tenderstem broccoli and garlic bread.
I was a bit disappointed that the cheese sauce was a bit thin and didn't have a strong flavour and that the whole dish didn't come together particularly well - it was basically some pasta, some chunks of butternut squash and a long piece of broccoli in a dish, as if each element had been cooked separately and then just put into the dish to serve. I would have preferred something baked in the oven with a crispy topping and a thicker cheese sauce. It was a shame as I really liked the place otherwise and I'm not sure whether I would go back or not.
clicksor_enable_inter = true; clicksor_maxad = -1;
clicksor_hourcap = -1; clicksor_showcap = 2;
clicksor_enable_adhere = false;
//default pop-under house ad url
clicksor_enable_pop = true; clicksor_frequencyCap = -1;
durl = '';clicksor_mobile_redirect = false;
//default banner house ad url
clicksor_default_url = '';
clicksor_banner_border = '#fec700'; clicksor_banner_ad_bg = '#FFFFFF';
clicksor_banner_link_color = '#000000'; clicksor_banner_text_color = '#666666';
clicksor_banner_image_banner = false; clicksor_banner_text_banner = false;
clicksor_layer_border_color = '#fec700';
clicksor_layer_ad_bg = '#FFFFFF'; clicksor_layer_ad_link_color = '#000000';
clicksor_layer_ad_text_color = '#666666'; clicksor_text_link_bg = '';
clicksor_text_link_color = ''; clicksor_enable_text_link = false;
This was both the most memorable meal of my life, and the most forgettable, because I can barely recall what I ate (though luckily for this ...
Part 2 of my travel review of the Galapagos islands, where we were based out of the Finch Bay Eco hotel in Santa Cruz. Puerto Ayora, Santa...
These cupcakes taste just like the real thing - like you are eating tiramisu! I made them for a family party with my in-laws; my mother-...
Did you know that the average family in the UK throws away £60 worth of food and drink every month? That sounds like a huge amount, but...
The Hobbycraft press show - another Christmas in July event - was much smaller than some of the others I've been to, but much more fun ...
Sometimes you want a proper dessert but really quickly - something that you can literally put together in five minutes after dinner. Mug cak...
I got the Sizzix Big Shot Plus machine for Christmas – which I imagine a good proportion of you have never heard of. It’s a die cutting ...
It was a year ago this month that my boyfriend and I bought and moved into our lovely house. We spent a couple of months working all-out...
After spending a fantastic few days of our honeymoon in Miami, we flew on to Quito, the capital of Ecuador. Our final destination would be 8...
I love fruit-flavoured ice cream, but not flavours like strawberry - I like more unusual, zingy flavours like apple. When I lived in Germa...
- Salted Caramel Whoopie Pies
- Pink Shoes Birthday Card
- Slimming World Cauliflower Rosti Pie
- Restaurant review: Barraka, Artillery Lane, London...
- Meal Planning Monday Week 39 - Sugar Free Septembe...
- Sailing Family Scrabble Name Picture
- Restaurant review: South Place Chop House, London
- Bang On The Door Birthday Card
- Tuscan Chianti Chicken Cacciatora
- Sugar-Free Brownie Bites - Sugar Free September
- You're Sew Lovely Greetings Card
- Meal Planning Monday 2016 - week 38 - Sugar Free S...
- DIY Wedding: Photo Booth Props and Guest Book
- Liver Stew - for cats!
- Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara with Spiralized Vegeta...
- Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- Meal Planning Monday 2016 - Week 37 - Sugar Free S...
- Tattered Lace Pink Shoe Card
- Mary Berry Lavender Shortbread Biscuits
- Restaurant review: Caballo Lounge, Epsom
- Tiramisu Cupcakes - coffee cakes for people who do...
- Carrot Rice 'Risotto' with Chorizo
- Restaurant review: Dotty's Teahouse, Carshalton
- Meal Planning Monday 2016 - Week 36 - Sugar Free S...
- Chocolate and Merlot Red Wine Cupcakes - Wilton Sh...
- Movie night: pairing your wine with your popcorn
- 5 Sugar-Free Breakfast Recipes - Sugar Free Septem...
- Slow Cooker Chicken Korma
- ▼ September (29)
- ► 2015 (266)
- ► 2014 (120)
Powered by Blogger.