The name of the South Place Chop House alone suggests that they know their meat - but also that it might be something of an old-fashioned, stuffy establishment. However, nothing could be further from the truth.
Chop houses in Britain have been around for hundred of years and were places businessmen met to strike deals over hearty meals. The South Place Chop House is in a hotel in the heart of the City, and is probably frequented by bankers - at least, I work in a bank and I ate there! It was a smart crowd when I met a friend there one weeknight evening, and the wood and leather banquette seats did strike me as something aimed at an older, slightly stuffier clientele,
The food is also what I'd call fairly traditional; starters include smoked salmon, steak tartare, prawn cocktail and onion and cider soup. We opted for a platter of cold cuts between us; it wasn't listed as a sharing starter and we asked the waiter how big it was. He said it would be a large starter for one person or a small starter for two - and when it came we were glad we had decided to share. I probably could have had this as a main course! It consisted of pork pies, ham, Scotch egg, pickles and cheese and wasn't cheap at around £15.
The main courses again were quite traditional, from steak and lamb chop and old spot pork chop with apple sauce to a Dover sole. They were doing a special offer of a lobster, fries and glass of prosecco for £20 which we both ordered. Lobster is never very filling so the large starter turned out to have been a good idea!
The food was good and well presented and the service very good and I think the restaurant would be great for a business dinner, not so much for an intimate date or a cosy evening with friends.
clicksor_enable_inter = true; clicksor_maxad = -1;
clicksor_hourcap = -1; clicksor_showcap = 2;
clicksor_enable_adhere = false;
//default pop-under house ad url
clicksor_enable_pop = true; clicksor_frequencyCap = -1;
durl = '';clicksor_mobile_redirect = false;
//default banner house ad url
clicksor_default_url = '';
clicksor_banner_border = '#fec700'; clicksor_banner_ad_bg = '#FFFFFF';
clicksor_banner_link_color = '#000000'; clicksor_banner_text_color = '#666666';
clicksor_banner_image_banner = false; clicksor_banner_text_banner = false;
clicksor_layer_border_color = '#fec700';
clicksor_layer_ad_bg = '#FFFFFF'; clicksor_layer_ad_link_color = '#000000';
clicksor_layer_ad_text_color = '#666666'; clicksor_text_link_bg = '';
clicksor_text_link_color = ''; clicksor_enable_text_link = false;
This was both the most memorable meal of my life, and the most forgettable, because I can barely recall what I ate (though luckily for this ...
Part 2 of my travel review of the Galapagos islands, where we were based out of the Finch Bay Eco hotel in Santa Cruz. Puerto Ayora, Santa...
These cupcakes taste just like the real thing - like you are eating tiramisu! I made them for a family party with my in-laws; my mother-...
Did you know that the average family in the UK throws away £60 worth of food and drink every month? That sounds like a huge amount, but...
The Hobbycraft press show - another Christmas in July event - was much smaller than some of the others I've been to, but much more fun ...
Sometimes you want a proper dessert but really quickly - something that you can literally put together in five minutes after dinner. Mug cak...
I got the Sizzix Big Shot Plus machine for Christmas – which I imagine a good proportion of you have never heard of. It’s a die cutting ...
It was a year ago this month that my boyfriend and I bought and moved into our lovely house. We spent a couple of months working all-out...
After spending a fantastic few days of our honeymoon in Miami, we flew on to Quito, the capital of Ecuador. Our final destination would be 8...
I love fruit-flavoured ice cream, but not flavours like strawberry - I like more unusual, zingy flavours like apple. When I lived in Germa...
- Salted Caramel Whoopie Pies
- Pink Shoes Birthday Card
- Slimming World Cauliflower Rosti Pie
- Restaurant review: Barraka, Artillery Lane, London...
- Meal Planning Monday Week 39 - Sugar Free Septembe...
- Sailing Family Scrabble Name Picture
- Restaurant review: South Place Chop House, London
- Bang On The Door Birthday Card
- Tuscan Chianti Chicken Cacciatora
- Sugar-Free Brownie Bites - Sugar Free September
- You're Sew Lovely Greetings Card
- Meal Planning Monday 2016 - week 38 - Sugar Free S...
- DIY Wedding: Photo Booth Props and Guest Book
- Liver Stew - for cats!
- Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara with Spiralized Vegeta...
- Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- Meal Planning Monday 2016 - Week 37 - Sugar Free S...
- Tattered Lace Pink Shoe Card
- Mary Berry Lavender Shortbread Biscuits
- Restaurant review: Caballo Lounge, Epsom
- Tiramisu Cupcakes - coffee cakes for people who do...
- Carrot Rice 'Risotto' with Chorizo
- Restaurant review: Dotty's Teahouse, Carshalton
- Meal Planning Monday 2016 - Week 36 - Sugar Free S...
- Chocolate and Merlot Red Wine Cupcakes - Wilton Sh...
- Movie night: pairing your wine with your popcorn
- 5 Sugar-Free Breakfast Recipes - Sugar Free Septem...
- Slow Cooker Chicken Korma
- ▼ September (29)
- ► 2015 (266)
- ► 2014 (120)
Powered by Blogger.