Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Mini Chocolate Blueberry Cakes



Sugar & Crumbs, a maker of flavoured icing sugar, recently sent me a few samples to try, including a tiny amount of blueberry flavoured buttercream. When I saw that the chosen ingredient for We Should Cocoa this month is blueberries, I decided to order a bag of the icing sugar and incorporate that into a recipe.


A little while ago I was in a café and saw some really cute stacked cakes that were like mini Victoria sponges, but cupcake sized. I thought these would be fun to make for a barbecue when I had some friends over including a vegan so found one of my most successful vegan chocolate cake recipes so far, which you can find here.


I baked them as cupcakes, and when they had cooled carefully sliced off the top of the cupcake as it was domed, so I had several flat discs of cake.


I made up the icing which just involves mixing the icing with softened butter but I used vegan margarine; the flavoured icing sugar itself is suitable for vegans. It has a lovely blueberry taste but I decided I wanted it to be blue in colour as well so added a few drops of food colouring.



I then used some of the buttercream to sandwich the cakes together and placed a circle of fresh blueberries on the icing in the middle of the cakes. It did make the cakes a little hard to keep upright though! I decorated some of them with blueberries on top as well but as the cakes were in danger of falling over decided not to do it on all of them!





I'm sending this to We Should Cocoa, hosted by Choclette of Tin and Thyme, as the chosen ingredient this month is blueberry.


I'm also sharing these with Tea Time Treats, hosted by Karen at Lavender and Lovage and Jane at the Hedgecombers as I made these for a barbecue which is their theme this month.



For the same reason I'm sending this to Treat Petite, hosted by Stuart at Cakeyboi and Kat aka the Baking Explorer as their theme is summertime.

0 comments:

Post a Comment